Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Prejudice of Doctors

I work with a natural wellness and anti-aging company called Orenda. The key word there is "wellness", but sometimes the more important aspect is "natural".

I've been visiting practitioners in their offices. I tend to focus on "natural" practitioners - chiropractors, acupuncturists, nutritional therapists, etc. But every once in a while I take a walk on the wild side and actually visit a "doctor's office" - a physician, or Medical Doctor.

I just hate giving up on a whole class of people, but sometimes I'm tempted.

Today, I asked the office manager if any of the doctors might be inclined toward alternative medicine, or nutritive therapy. I got this firm but eye-rolling "No," in response. She thought I was nuts!

I'm sure her view is supported by her doctors. And that's one reason why I don't trust "normal" doctors. How ridiculous! To even suggest that health relies upon a foundation of nutrition, or maintenance of proper vitamin and hormone levels. Alternative medicine! Pfft. Who needs it?!

Oh, sure, most doctors (at least, if asked) will tell you that it's important to have a balanced diet, or to "eat well" in order to be well.

But with most, doesn't it seem like an afterthought? "Take this drug, and this one, and this one... and call me in 2 weeks and we'll see how they're helping you." Three drugs, 6 pills a day... "Oh, and you should eat better." Oh?

That's the trap of symptom maintenance - "feel good" medicine to cover up the symptoms with drugs.

Ironically, I don't think most doctors even understand what "wellness" means! It's not merely "the absence of illness or disease (or symptoms)".

Wellness means being well - having your body operate the way it's supposed to. According to the way it was designed to work!

And that's why I, and my wife, who is an integrative nurse practitioner, tend toward so-called "alternative therapies" - therapies built around the concept of achieving your body's optimal nutrition level to support proper immune and hormone function (which tends to support everything else about your body).

Most doctors, and this office manager, look down on me because I'm involved with alternative or naturopathic medicine.

They're allopaths - drugs, drugs, drugs (and if that doesn't fix it, we must have missed a drug somewhere - or maybe we just need to do surgery!).

They're prejudiced against anyone who doesn't think that same way.

And I have to admit. I have a prejudice against them.

But at least I'm willing to give them a chance! I don't roll my eyes until they roll theirs.

To see more about Orenda, please visit my personalized distributor website at www.edhanks.com. Please take a few minutes to watch the "Live Long..." video.

If you'd like to order, please contact me at 720-301-4270 or hanksedwin@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment